The Institute has over 2.71 lakh doses of frozen semen in its semen bank under progeny testing programme. There was balance of 59817 doses of progeny tested bulls out of which 57692 doses were available for sale upto June, 2014. The Institute also has semen of champion bull in the field. At present, there are 16929 doses of semen of champion bulls out of which 13055 are for sale.
Area specific mineral mixture (ASMM) for improved production and reproduction of buffaloes
Area specific mineral mixture (ASMM) is available at the Institute for sale at Rs 90/kg.
- Feeds and fodder in Haryana are deficient in minerals like Ca, P, Zn, Mn and Cu. This results in long anestrous condition in 70 – 80% of the breedable buffalo population of the area.
- Area specific mineral mixture can bring estrus within 4 – 6 weeks of supplementation in about 75% animals. The constituents are given below:
Ingredients (Parts per 100):
- Dicalcium phosphate 90.0
- Chalk Powder 04.0
- Zinc sulphate 04.0
- Manganese sulphate 01.5
- Copper sulphate 00.5
- Potassium iodide/iodate 00.01
Amount of ASMM supplemented to various categories of buffaloes:
- Young calves up to 18 months of age @ 20-30 g/calf/day
- Heifers and young bulls @ 30-40 g/animal/day
- Milch buffaloes @ 50-60 g/buffalo/day
It is equally important to mix equal quantity of common salt (animal feed grade) along with ASMM in the animal ration.
Production and maintenance of superior germplasm dissemination of Murrah and Nili-Ravi bulls
Murrah and Nili-Ravi bulls of high genetic potential are bred at the Institute and its Sub Campus, Nabha. Young bull calves are selected on the basis of dam’s milk yield and reared under intensive management system. The production potential of bulls is evaluated through progeny testing. The Institute has so far sold more than 595 Murrah bulls and 237 Nili-Ravi bulls of high genetic merit to village Panchayats and developmental agencies. These are expected to contribute towards overall improvement.